The following people have been nominated for the open PVA board of directors position. Voting will take place via email after the September 10th club directors’ meeting.
Director, Columbia Starlings
Current BOD Member, running for re-election
I currently serve on the Board of Directors which has provided me extensive knowledge of the Palmetto Region and its use of Policy Governance. I formed and have been director of Columbia SC Starlings since 2006. I have also coached organized volleyball since 1984. Having experience on multiple levels of volleyball from organized national programs (United States Youth Games), High School, USAV club and the Starlings National programs provides representation and points of view from many spectrums. I have been an active participant in the transition to Policy Governance and would like to remain an active voice in the changes we have made and will continue to make to better our region.
Director, Lake Murray Volleyball Club
Hammond School Columbia, SC Head Varsity Volleyball Coach, May 2014-present
- Responsible for running entire program which includes c-team, JV and varsity teams.
- Responsible for scheduling matches, uniforms, volleyball budget
- Responsible for set up and take down of gym equipment and maintaining equipment. Also responsible for replacing volleyball equipment using limited volleyball budget.
- Responsible for creating program’s parent/player contract, scheduling parent meetings, insuring good communication between parents, coaches and players. Established program philosophy.
January 1993-present, Columbia Volleyball Club Irmo, SC PRESIDENT/VP/Outdoor Coordinator/Sponsorship Committee
- Served in all positions over the 29 year history of the club. Still very active in club
- One of the main organizers of the two largest tournaments in the Southeast, The Columbia Clash and Columbia Crown.
September 2006-present Lake Murray Volleyball Club Irmo, SC Director, Head Coach
- One of four coaches to establish Lake Murray Volleyball Club in the Irmo area.
- Responsible for organizing teams, setting up try-outs, acquiring insurance.
- Responsible for scheduling officiating clinics, scrimmages and practices for all teams in club.
- Head of four-person board
- Coach of over 11 teams in the time span that club has been in existence.
September 2009-May 2013 Dutch Fork High School Irmo, SC Head C-team/JV/Varsity Coach
- Started with C-team program and ran that for two years. Moved up to JV and ran that for one season. Was then moved to varsity coach where I remained for two seasons.
July 1995-May 1997 Brooklyn Cayce High School Cayce, SC Head JV volleyball coach
- First volleyball head coaching position. Worked closely with head varsity volleyball coach.
September 1997-June 2006 United States Volleyball Association USAV Paid Regional Official/Scorekeeper
- Responsible for officiating high school, club and college matches both locally and throughout the country. This involved being a first referee, second referee, line judge and/or score keeper.
Coach, Orangeburg Lady Cubs
I have been a PVA volleyball mom for 8 years. This past season was my first season of my daughters not competing in PVA, but coaching an OLC team. Both of my daughters are competing in volleyball on the collegiate level. I have also coached within OLC for 8 years. Been on the administrative/operational side of OLC. Have been exposed and privy to various volleyball association and feel that I would be an asset to the BOD for PVA. I could offer fresh new ideals while adding diversity.
Director, Excell Volleyball
Have coach hs VB for 19 years, played beach at a very high level for many years. Run and operate Excell indoor club, and beach / grass tour. Very motivated to see the juniors get out and play the sand and grass to help improve their indoor skills. Would love to have a voice/ advocate for the smaller club programs that feel they may not have a voice because they only have a small number of teams in their organization. Just want to see VB continue to grow in SC.
Charles A Garcia
Coach, Axis Elite Volleyball
I was introduced to the game at the end of my second year at Clemson in 1991 and played on the men’s inter-collegiate club team there until 1994 and then coached the team for 2 years. I was re-engaged with the game when my daughter showed interest in 7th grade and began to play. I began my formal coaching career with Axis Elite during their inaugural season and have coached there ever since. In my second year with Axis I started the boys program which has grown to having 2 teams each year for the past several years. I have dedicated my time solely to the boys program for the past 2 years and am no longer coaching girls, but I am passionate about the game.
Official, Palmetto Region
Joy Stauffer is a former volleyball player and coach, and current volleyball official. She is a member of the Palmetto Region and serves as a Junior National official in our region. Additionally, she is a PAVO-certified volleyball official and officiates for a number of Division I, II, and III collegiate conferences. She has officiated at the USAV High Performance Championships, as well as multiple years of the USAV GJNC tournament. In the local area, Joy works with two volleyball clubs helping to assign officials when needed.
As a former player and coach, Joy desires to use her gifts of organization, leadership, and administration within the Palmetto Region by serving on the Board of Directors. She is highly motivated to give back to the sport, and to pay forward the blessings she has received through the sport of volleyball by recruiting and teaching others. Joy is someone who will work tirelessly behind the scenes to better the region for all members. Her quiet confidence, hardworking attitude, and team-first spirit will be a great attribute to the Palmetto Region.
Coach, CSRA Heat
I was an all-state and all-region player at Augusta Prep where I co-captained two state championship teams, including the 2007 Hall of Fame squad. I have coached with Carolina Juniors Volleyball (Charlotte), the Rock Hill Volleyball Club, FH Wardlaw Academy, and Greenbrier High School. I am currently an English teacher and the varsity volleyball coach at Evans High School. This is my 12th year coaching, and I have been coaching 14 and 13 National level teams with the CSRA Heat since 2012. In February of 2014, I had the special opportunitiy to attend the USA Volleyball High Performance Coaches’ Clinic at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO. This past spring, I helped with the USA Volleyball High Performance tryout in Atlanta, GA, and I also had the opportunity to serve as an apprentice coach at the USAV up SELECT A3 camp in Grand Rapids, MI.